A UK official said there is “a case” to ban cars from certain areas of London in the wake of another terrorist attack.
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling delivered his remark a day after Tuesday’s terror attack were a 29-year-old Sudanese immigrant was accused of ploughing though pedestrians and cyclists outside the House of Parliament.
“There may well be a case for pedestrianization [of part of Parliament Square],” said Grayling. “We've got to do that carefully, we shouldn't just take an on-the-hoof response to what was a very disturbing incident.”
The “pedestrianisation” sentiment was echoed by Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, who admitted that vehicles have become a “weapon of choice” for terrorists across Europe.
"Vehicles are on our streets all the time, we have crowds on our streets as well," said Dick. "Terrorists want us to completely change our way of life, they want us to be afraid and they want us to stop doing what we want to do to lead a normal life in the UK.
"But, it is important we take reasonable measures - as I think we have been doing over the last several months - to try and make sure that the most iconic sites, including those in central London, are well protected."
Tuesday’s attack seems to have reignited a hot national conversation in London as multiple politicians have already said the latest attack is a “wake up call” to thwart the city’s glaring issue of vehicle congestion in iconic spaces as well as the pollution they bring.
“[It’s] a national disgrace that one of our most iconic squares is choked with traffic,” said London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan.
Meanwhile, the suspected terrorist that triggered this debate, Salih Khater, was previously known to local police and had arrived to the UK in 2010.
(PHOTO: Chris J Ratcliffe / Stringer / Getty Images)